ECCOS is a non-profit grassroots organization with members in Colorado, Utah, and Wyoming. We are interested in the immense potential of oil shale. We are not an advocacy group. Instead, our primary goal is educating the public and government officials about both the vast potential and challenges of oil shale, including:
- Resource characterization
- Past development efforts
- Current technologies to extract the resource.
- Environmental concerns, including water quality, water usage, air quality, wildlife protection, and carbon emissions
- Socio-economic issues, like local economic development, infrastructure, and tax revenues
- Macro-economic issues related to U.S. energy imports, the balance-of-trade, and insulation from supply disruptions
- Energy independence